Wednesday 26 December 2012

Boxing Day



Happy Boxing Day!

The exact meaning behind the term "boxing" is unclear, and there are several competing theories, none of which are definitive. However, the tradition of Boxing Day has long included giving money and other gifts to those who were needy and in service positions. The most likely theory of how the term Boxing Day came about has its roots in English history. For centuries it was a custom for tradesmen to collect "Christmas boxes" of money or presents on the first weekday after Christmas as thanks for good service throughout the year. This is even mentioned in Samuel Pepys' famous diary, notably his entry for 19 December 1663. This custom is linked to an even older English tradition where in exchange for ensuring that wealthy landowners' Christmases ran smoothly, their servants were allowed to take the 26th off to visit their families. The employers gave each servant a box containing gifts and bonuses, and sometimes leftover food.

Did you know that? 

Not sure I did!

So did we all have a good Christmas?

I can't believe it's all over...... all that rushing around buying/making gifts...... food shopping..... just for 2 days!

Back to work for me tomorrow but I've had a lovely 2 days off. Lots of eating, napping & telly..... & of course spending time with my girls :) 
OH spoilt me rotten by waiting on me hand & foot..... I'm so lucky to have someone who can cook or I might've starved!

I will be back to show you some of my gifts but in the mean time I'll leave you with some pictures of the Snowman I crocheted for my nephew



I was very happy with it & thinking of making them to sell next Christmas.

Matthew loved it



7 comments:

  1. Lovely snowman! I am glad you had a nice two days, shame it is all over. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Snowman is so cute!
    Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a lovely snowman, please sell them next year, I'd love one! Sad it's all over but sounds like it was a good one! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Snowman is ADORABLE!! You definitely need to make a stash to sell next Christmas!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the snowman, I'd get your hook going now as I'm sure they will be a winner
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. that snowman is brilliant - am sure they would be a seasonal bestseller.

    Sounds like a lovely christmas - I'm just emerging from our cocoon - back to work tomorrow, and back to reality, but it's been a blissful break.

    Just have to have some more chocolate to get over thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, the snowman is so sweet! I'm sure it would be a great seasonal seller!

    And no, I didn't know any of that....have ALWAYS wondered where the term "boxing Day" came from. Thanks!

    I'm glad you had a lovely couple of days! x

    ReplyDelete